Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Today is the Day to Start Small...

A blog.  I've been thinking about this for a long time.  When I'm at home I tend to have all these random thoughts and musings running through my head and I've noticed that I have a tendency to use Facebook to share them.  I keep thinking that maybe it would be nice to have somewhere else to record all these random musings and to be able to expand upon them a little bit.  I'm not much of a writer, that's my brother's area of expertise, but why not give it a whirl.  So today I am starting small.  My first blog post, and maybe a picture if I'm feeling particularly industrious.

Our family is "starting small" in other ways this year as well.  We're trying a bit of an experiment, a DIY experiment you might say.  Trying to see how many things we can truly do ourselves.  It's a bit of an expansion on a few of the things we already do:  gardening, cooking, cloth diapering, etc....  I guess a blog is a good place to chronicle our efforts.

The first and most important change is that our garden is growing.  We've marked off a space in the backyard for a much larger garden than we've ever had before.  We've also knocked down the wall in the backyard giving us more room and a place where we can finally have a compost heap.  We've subscribed to a CSA (community supported agriculture)  for anything we can't grow.  Hopefully we'll have more veggies than we know what to do with.  This will lead me to my next project:  CANNING!  Roo is my big garden helper and she loves it.  Her new favorite book is called "How Groundhog's Garden Grew" and it is the inspiration for the blog title.  Little Groundhog learns all about how to garden and cook and share the food with others.  Hopefully we will learn to be as productive as Little Groundhog. 

But today, as a character in another of Roo's books states, we are "starting small."  Homemade Ranch dressing, bread with dinner, washing diapers and maybe a few minutes to work on some monkey-print baby pants for Bryan, not a bad beginning.  

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging. Feel free to stop by my blog too although I have not posted anything new for awhile. I know you will LOVE the name of it....Cardinal in Wildcat Country.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete